Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Bead Buzz!


Don't you just love that title!  I saw it on Bead and Buttons website and decided that maybe I should use it to make a post about it.  I love Bee's.  Not real ones of course, they hurt!  But the cartoony kind.  There is just something so happy and cheerful about them.  So when I saw that title on B&B's page I just knew that it was good news and for a pattern collector like me it really was.  So if you are a pattern collector as well you can go here for several free beading patterns.

You see I learned how to bead by purchasing a beading tutorial from Marcie Abney on May 21'st 2011 That was this:


First Tutorials

I made the pendent in the top right corner as my first piece ever.  Being completely new to beading I did not have the required materials needed for it so I improvised.  Where I live the only beading store we have is Hobby Lobby and I purchased all my mats from there.

Very First Bead Woven Item

Needless to say I was really happy with the way it turned out even though it really only favors the one made by Marcie because I did not have the correct materials.  At the time I had no clue that cylinder beads were actually another name for Delicas so I just used regular size 11/0's since that is all that was available to me.  And of course I used plain round 4mm's beads that I now know are dyed (ugh) and imperfect (see the dimple).

In a few months (May) will by my first anniversary with the little seed beads and I am very pleased with where I am today concerning my progress.  Sometimes I even surprise myself with how well things turn out now.  Don't get me wrong, I realize that I have a long long way to go before I master this, if it is ever able to be truly mastered.  Because I am not completely comfortable on my own yet I almost always use some type of pattern for my work,  But today I went outside my comfort zone and created a piece that is entirely mine in design!  Yes it is simple, and yes it is using techniques that we all use but the composition of it is entirely my own and I have to admit that I am tickled pink.  

I would love to show it to you but it is my piece for the 7000 bracelets for hope blog hop that I am participating in and the official reveal day is not until the 25th.  So until then all I am going to show you is a sneak peak.  

7000 Bracelets for Hope Teaser


Gosh I can't wait :) 


8 comments:

  1. I love your version of Marcie's pendant (complete with the dimple). For a first beading attempt, it's beyond amazing. I can't wait to see your design. I bet it's awesome as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks so much for your compliments :) I am really excited about this blog hop and even more so because it is a piece that is my own design. Maybe the time will just fly by lol

      Delete
  2. Marla, Wow! I have that same tutorial and I must say that it is fantastic for your first beading project. I did that one too and mine came out all wankey! I now know it is because I used to heavy of thread. I can not wait to see what you did for the 7,000 bracelet hop and It is super that it will be your own design. The Mother that gets it will be so special cause it is your first original piece.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was over all pretty happy with the way that it turned out even though it does not really look like Marcie's version. I gave it to my best friend at her going away party before she moved to your side of the pond lol (saraland, alabama) It reminded me of Van Gogh's Starry Night.

      I hope the mother enjoys it as well :) It is very simple in design but I think that is what makes it so special. I hope you are doing well Therese!

      Delete
  3. Marla,
    Your first beading project is involved and fantastic! Upon first glance, Holland Delft came to mind and then I saw in your comment to Therese that it reminded you of van Gogh's Starry Night. I love anything van Gogh-ish so no wonder why it grabbed me. He is my obsession.

    I cannot wait to see your 7000 bracelet & the design you created! If that first weaving pendant you made is any indication of your talent, then I know it will be beautiful :-)
    Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Van Gogh as well :) I was an art major in college and he is my favorite painter. Thanks so much for your kind words Christine! I am really excited! Hope the time flies :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful work Maria! -Can't wait to see what you come up with for 7000 Bracelets for Hope. The beads look gorgeous ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I am really excited about it as you can probably tell. :)

      Delete